Happy Thanksgiving! As our turkey roasts and the Jayhawks play (we’re a TCU/KU house divided), it’s the perfect time to check out the Black Friday ads. Sifting through the stack I realized I really wish I’d bought some college essentials last year during Black Friday instead of waiting last minute when stores mark up their prices for all the procrastinating college kiddos.
If you had asked me this time last year to start buying for college, I would have laughed in your face. I didn’t know how I was decorating my dorm, who my roommate would be heck I didn’t even know what college I’d be attending! Keeping this in mind, I’ll avoid anything thing that has to do with these three, and keep it nice and general. If you’re a high school senior, I highly suggest you add a few of these to your shopping list.
- Air mattress. This is a necessity especially if you’re not planning on having a futon. You never know when you’ll have guests staying with you, when you want to have a sleepover with your sorority sisters, or even if you and your roommate want to switch it up for a night. Look for this at: Target, JCPenney, Kohl’s, Walmart
- Kuerig. Never have I ever heard of a college student surviving without coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. These things are a lifesaver and luck for you, many stores have them on sale. If you’re lucky you’ll find some k-cups on sale, might as well add those to your stockpile while you’re at it. Look for this at: Target, JCPenney, Kohl’s, Walmart, Lowe’s, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Big Lots, Sears, Costco, Kmart, Staples, Macy’s
- Slippers. You’ll have a new-found appreciation for some comfy slippers when you’re walking around your dorm and don’t want to put on real shoes, or even if you wear them to the cafeteria (I might be guilty of this- oops). Look for this at: Payless, Walmart, Kohl’s, Target, JCPenney, Old Navy
- A Great Pillow. When you lay your head down a night (or at 4am), you’re going to want a great pillow there to catch it. I suggest a good tempurpedic pillow, but everyone likes something different. These get pretty pricey so go get one on sale for a heck of a deal. Look for this at: Target, Walmart, JCPenney, Kohl’s, Kmart, Macy’s Sam’s Club, Sears
- A Great Mattress Topper. Similarly to having a great pillow, you’ll want a great mattress pad because let’s face it: dorm mattresses aren’t comfy. To actually be comfortable, you’ll need a serious mattress topper. These also get pricey during the regular season. Look for this at: Kohl’s, Macy’s, JCPenney, Belk
- Flashdrive. Hopefully, you’ll be working pretty hard in college and you’ll probably have a situation where you’ll have to work on a computer other than your own. Since this is inevitable, stay prepared with a USB flashdrive to always have your papers at your fingertips. Look for this at: Walmart, OfficeMax, Radio Shack, Staples, Sears, Kmart.
There’s many more essentials, but this is a great start for anyone getting ready to go to college! I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and a successful and stress-free Black Friday! Did you find any other deals I forgot? Comment below!!